Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Not in the archives.Please help
Oct 31, 2007

Dr Bob,

A friend of mine who is a nurse said that people who dont respond to the Hep B vaccine could also be unable to produce enough hiv anti-bodies to be measured on a test. Is this true? This really worries me because I didnt respond to the Hep B jabs when i had to take them in relation to the job I was doing at the time - they said i hadnt produced enough (or any?) antibodies to continue the course of jabs. My mother also didnt respond to this vaccine. Would this have any bearing on my negative HIV test which was taken 6 months after exposure? Many thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

No! What your nurse friend told you is generally not true. A number of folks (me included) have not respond to the first series of hepatitis B vaccinations. However, that does not mean they (we) are not ready, willing and able to respond with specific antibody production to HIV infection. There is an enormous difference between the immune system's ability to recognize and respond to an exogenous vaccine challenge and its ability to mount an immunologic response to an active systemic infection!

Your negative six-month HIV-antibody test is definitively and conclusively negative.

Dr. Bob

Previous
pimple pep issue
Next
What do you call a BJ giver?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.