HIV testing question

There is a guy I know and he told me he tested for hiv

My question is as follows:

what type of test is this:

"HIV-1 Antibody by enzymes immunoassay (eia) with reflux to western blot CB test HIV 1/AB=Non-Reactive

HIV Western Blot = N/A

What does all this mean?

Was this a routine test or confirmatory?

Is my friend negative or not?

The type of test is an EIA (Enzyme Immunoassay). It's an "ELISA"-type test to detect anti-HIV antibody in the blood. The way the test was ordered, a confirmatory test called a Western Blot would have been run if and only if the initial screening EIA test was positive. The results indicate that the screening EIA was negative and therefore the confirmatory Western Blot was not done. N/A means "not applicable." Your friend, in essence, had a screening HIV-antibody test that was negative. Is your friend negative? Well, his test is negative, but I have no way of knowing if he ran the test outside of his "window" period. If it's been three months or longer since his last potential HIV exposure, yes, he would be negative. But even with a negative test, I still always recommend safer sexual techniques be used, OK?

Troubled Marrige
Dr Bob Please Help Me