Is it too late to trust my test?

Dear Dr Frascino,

I've read your replies in the archives regarding that it would be very "rare" for someone post-6 months, or in late stage HIV not to test positive on an ELISA. Could you put "rare" in better perspective? Have you or your immediate colleagues in your practive ever encountered a patient (beyond the expected seroconversion period) who needed tests other than the ELISA to detect infection?

I had many foolish unprotected anal acts 5-15 years ago, and want to know that a negative ELISA this far down the road can be trusted.

Thank you for your time. Donation is on the way!

HIV ELISA tests remain exquisitely accurate in detecting HIV seropositivity at 5-15 years from the date of potential exposure. Does that put enough perspective on your particular situation to give you confidence that a negative ELISA can indeed be trusted? Said another way, if your ELISA is negative at 5-15 years out from a potential HIV exposure, the only thing you need to do is WOO-HOO, OK?

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well. Stop worrying!

January 20, 2008.
iffy condom? donation