Stay or Go?

Dear Dr Frascino, This is a fairly odd question I'm sure... I'm a 35 year old gay man from the UK, currently living in Japan. I'm pretty certain I've contracted HIV (based on symptoms - unreliable I know) and am due to get tested soon. If I have it, then I most certainly caught it in early August of this year. I've been offered a new job and really am in a quandry as to whether I should accept or not (I need to say yes/no this week). I'm worried I'll have to start medication soon and won't be able to afford it, or that I'll get seriously ill in hospital. And, of course, that I have a horrible resistant strain with nasty coninfections...neurotic I know. I know it's a tall order, but do you have any advice? I think maybe I should just go back to the UK. Thanks and best wishes....

You are "pretty certain" you contracted HIV "based on symptoms"???? Hmmm . . . here we go again! Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in distinguishing who is and is not infected with HIV. Consequently your "pretty certain" is going to be just as unreliable. I urge you to read through the archives of this forum. There you will find gazillions of testimonials where folks were not only "pretty certain" they were HIV positive; they were 100% absolutely unquestionably certain! And what you'll see in these testimonials is that they were all completely wrong.

My advice is simple: do not second guess your HIV status based on self diagnosis and "symptoms." If you want the new job, I strongly advise you accept the offer. I also strongly advise you stop with all the doom and gloom scenarios about "horrible resistant strains . . . nasty coinfections . . . and not being able to afford medications." You sound as ridiculous as Cheney talking about mushroom clouds resulting from Iraq's WMDs. Remember, they didn't turn out to be real either.

Still no 'happy' in my 'happy ending massage'
Expired Condoms