MAJOR ISSUE SIMLE EXPLANATION NEEDED

Dear Doctor Bob, There is somthing I really cannot understand. I read in the forum that oral sex transmission is low but there may be other factors that might increase the risk. I have genital herpes (I am a female), I received oral sex from someone who had no sores or bleeding but is hiv positive. He only licked me (sorry to be so graphic) for maybe three or five minutes. There was no visible sign of blood and he swore that he had no sores in his mouth. I did not have an outbreak at the time, what are my odds of contracting the virus and should I get tested. I am scared but I am going to make my mind up and get tested anyway. I have an eye infection, sore throat and constant neck pains a few weeks after this encounter. I know symptoms do not mean anything but what are the odds of me contracting the virus if only saliva is involved? Thanks Doc I will be sending a donation in time for Christmas.

The HIV risk from cunnilingus is extremely small barring extenuating circumstances, such as those that I've discussed in the archives many times. In your case HIV-positive partner, with no oral sores or active bleeding, performing oral sex on you, an HIV-negative woman with a history of genital herpes, but no outbreak at the time of oral sex I do not see any extenuating circumstances that would increase your HIV-transmission risk. Certainly if you are worried and clearly you are getting a single rapid test at the three-month mark may well be the most effective and efficient way to put your unwarranted worries permanently to rest. The test will undoubtedly be negative. Saliva does not transmit HIV.

Thanks in advance for the Christmas donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well.

Testing help
Still no 'happy' in my 'happy ending massage'