Oprah gave me HIV...

I know the odds are against it, but I am now convinced I have HIV...(and I've given it to my girlfriend)....and it's all Oprah's fault. Well, not really, but ever since she did that show on rising infection rates for women, I've convinced myself I have HIV and have dreaded going to get tested. <p><b> Here's the question</b>: Was that show sensationalist, I mean one would think this was a common occurence (as I do)? Isn't the male-female infection rate something like 5/10,000? <p> My story is that I messed up and went to a lady-of-the-night --- and the condom broke, and I was unprotected for about 30 seconds (I think). I know, I know, stupid, and I have to examine why I went there....but in the meantime (<b>question #2</b>): what is something you can say to help me get myeslf into the testing center? It has been over 3 months.

<p> PS - donation made, reference # XXXXXXXXXC <p> Thanks!

Oprah's fault? I'm sure she wouldn't be too happy to hear that. Her purpose in doing that show was to raise HIV awareness, promote prevention and encourage testing when appropriate. It certainly wasn't supposed to scare the pants off you or on you or whatever! The important facts to know are these:

1. There are over 1,000,000 HIV+ folks in the U.S. Twenty-five percent of them have absolutely no idea they are infected with the virus.

2. There are approximately 40,000 new HIV infections each year in the U.S. (This number hasn't changed in over a decade, clearly indicating our HIV prevention message is shamefully inadequate and that Dubya's abstinence-only sex education policies are yet another of his dismal failures.)

3. If you've placed yourself at risk for HIV by messing with the Naughty Lady of Shady Lane, for instance then you need to get HIV tested. Being scared doesn't change the reality of your situation. Your 30 seconds of unprotected nookie due to a failed condom is only a brief potential exposure and consequently your actual HIV risk of transmission is slight. However, your risk is not completely nonexistent. Therefore testing is warranted at the three-month mark. Procrastination or blaming Ms. Winfrey is inappropriate and won't help.

So is there something I can say to help get you into the testing center? Hmmm . . . how about "Don't be such an anxious ninny and get yourself down to the testing center right now or I'll come over there and give you a swift kick in the ass"? Would that help? Now don't make me come down there. Turn off your computer and get going!!! Thanks for your donation. You'll soon receive your Miss Manner's-approved Dr. Bob acknowledgement/thank-you note signed by yours truly as well as a small token of our appreciation for your generous gift.

Now what are you still doing sitting staring at the computer screen reading this message? Didn't I say turn off the computer and get your butt to the testing center? So?!?! Go!!!!

Mistake of My Life
Scared Kiwi living in US