The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

lab results

Oct 26, 2007

Hello again Dr. Frascino, My b/f got his lab results back and his viral load was 3000 and his CD4 count was in the 400s. The doc told him that was good and that he doesn't need to be put on meds right now. what does that means and does that increased the transmission of HIV after the condom broke. We tried oral sex with the condom but he says he doesn't feel anything, do you have any suggestions for that. Please help.

Response from Dr. Frascino


A viral load of 3,000 is considered relatively low; however, if you had a significant exposure resulting from a condom failure, then a course of PEP should be considered if you're within the 72-hour limit. PEP is more effective the sooner it is begun after an exposure.

As for the oral sex with a condom problem, this is something the two of you will have to work on. Some magnetic couples feel the HIV-transmission risk for oral sex is low enough that it becomes an acceptable risk for them and they forego the latex packaging of their package. Others try different types of condoms some ultra thin, some flavored for oral sex, etc. Other magnetic couples carefully use the latex condom only on the head of the penis and leave the shaft uncovered for additional tactile and tasting pleasure. You can find additional suggestions in the archives.

I'm confident you guys will find a safe and pleasurable solution for this dilemma.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Could be it be false positive...yes?
needle stick injury

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint