Praying you where not wrong Dr Bob

Ok Dr Bob now I am freaking out again I just got a call from the Immunology Dept of all children's Hospital and they think I might have PCP they want copies of all 9 elisa and both viral load tests I got along with a copy of the NAT taken over 22 months. because of abnormal lab values. they also want me to be checked for esophical thrush since I have recurring oral thrush. Is it at all possible this illness is in fact hiv and 22 months of testing did not show up. I mean are there any strains that the test would not pick up. I only really fear for my 1 and 2 year old since they have been born since then and show signs of the illness what do you think any possibility

I have not changed my opinion based on the information you provided. Please realize I cannot diagnose the exact cause of your problem over the Internet. However, with 9 negative ELISA tests out to 22 months, 2 undetectable viral load tests at 6 months and 1 year and an undetectable NAT, the chances you have HIV are essentially nonexistent. You still have not mentioned what your potential HIV exposure may have been. You also haven't mentioned if you've been screened or have any risk for HIV-2 or subtype O. However, considering the number of physicians involved and the extensive workup you've received to date, most likely these issues have been addressed if relevant and consequently, HIV is not your problem. As mentioned previously, if you have a positive antinuclear antibody (ANA) and persistently elevated white blood cell count, plus recurrent sinusitis or other problems suggestive of immune deficiency, you should be evaluated by a clinical immunologist or rheumatologist. Many things other than HIV can cause problems with the immune system.

Keep me posted and let me know what your work-up reveals. OK?

ready to give up Oct 18, 2007

I am pretty much just over the entire medical community.(you are still cool though) I have been going through two full years of hell with no answers. I have had just about every symptom of hiv the whole time and now I am getting herpes on top of it all (which never started until now)I have had NO risk for infection since this all started. Every Doctor I go to wants me to test for HIV again. I have tested that out as far as I can tell what would you suggest. I have taken about nine ELISA out to 22 months 2viral load tests 1 at 6 months one at about a year and a NAT (which i found out is basically just another viral load test) I have had a constant high WBC a positive ANA recently (which I have read can be a sign of HIV) and I have low testosterone and b-12 after about 18 months of this.I have had reoccurring oral thrush that just will not go away, and now sines infections over and over again. my children that where born after the illness show strange signs too. my one year old has geographic tongue and the two year old is slow to develop and still does not talk low weight for age and sick allot he was tested (antibody only at 6months and one year negative please Dr Bob do you think this could be some rare strain have you ever seen anything like this in your experiences any suggestions other tests anything

I don't know what your HIV risk was, but with nine negative ELISAs out to 22 months, two undetectable viral load tests and a negative NAT, one thing is absolutely certain: HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Rare strain? No, absolutely not.

Have I seen anything like this in my experience? Yes, many times. Each and every time the constellation of symptoms ultimately turned out to be something other than HIV.

With your positive ANA and persistently elevated WBC count you should have an evaluation by a clinical immunologist or rheumatologist. It is entirely possible you have an evolving autoimmune disease. Over the Internet I cannot diagnose the exact cause of your symptoms, but can, with great assurance, advise HIV is not the cause. Hope that helps and that you still think I'm cool.

What "archives"?
newly infected boyfriend