Could it be a false positive?

Dear Bob,

My partner who is a HIV+ and I always practise safe sex.

I did a rapid test and the result came in positive. The line on the test kit is very faint. And to comfirm this, my blood was drawn to do a further test in the lab, prob a western blot.

The thing is, i would like to know, Before that test,about 1 hours pior to the test I had some action with my partner. I fingered his anus for play. And later just wash up with normal soap and water.

And the finger they pricked me for the test is the same finger i use for the fingering on my partner.

Could that make the test false positive?

We tried to trace back on when we had sex and we know that we have always have safe sex.

Busy day for that finger. It had butt action and then felt a little prick too!

Regarding the rapid test results, your pretest finger action with your poz partner's backdoor would not affect the test results. However, could your result still be a false positive? Well, since this was a rapid test and since the test line was "very faint" and especially since your HIV risk is negligible, if indeed you "always have safe sex," then yes, your test result could indeed be a "false positive." All positive rapid tests are only considered to be preliminarily positive and require confirmation one way or the other with a more specific confirmatory test.

We'll all keep fingers and toes crossed for you that your preliminary test was indeed "falsely positive." Continue to play safe, OK? I'm here if you or your partner needs me.

Good luck to you both.

Really scared Dr. Bob
Off topic but your a fellow Sculptra user