scared scared scared....pcr @ 14 days ?
Oct 24, 2007
please help me i was exposed to hiv on 21/10/2007 ( unprotected anal sex on a female sex worker just for 1.5 minutes ).............. my wedding party is on 11/11/2007.. i do not know what to do? i know that the window period for hiv antibodies is about 3 months... most people will be pos at 28-45 days with the 3rd and 4th generation combi test which looks for both anitbodies and p24. please answer me? 1)-is it true that hiv rna pcr can detect the infevtion after 72 hrs of exposure ? 2)- is it true that hiv rna pcr is conclusive after 14 days of exposure ? 3)-if the answer for the second question is yes why do they reccomend 28 days to test with this hiv rna pcr test? 4)- how accurate is the hiv rna pcr at 14 days ? 5)- is it true that hiv onfiction needs alot time of unprotected sex and also cuts in the skin to be infect ? if yes what is the 1.5 minutes risk ?
i cannot sleep or eat at all , please help... waiting for your answers thank you
Response from Dr. Frascino
Your wedding is 11/11/2007 and you decided to have unprotected anal sex with the Naughty Lady of Shady lane on 10/21/2007??? Hmmm . . . bad decision and even worse timing! Dude, what were you thinking??? (Yeah, that's right. You weren't thinking!!) OK, on to your questions:
1. It is true that HIV RNA PCR tests can sometimes detect HIV infection very early on; however, these tests are not recommended for routine HIV screening, because of the rate of false-positive results, other technical considerations and cost.
2. No. (See #1 above.)
3. The answer to #2 is not yes.
4. See #1 above.
5. No, that is definitely not true.
My advice to you is to level with your fiancée. Honesty is always the best option. You can then decide together to use condoms for penetrative sex until you get your definitive HIV test result in three months.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can Hiv Be Transmitted Through Touching A Blood Contaminated Surface?
- Does A Fungal Infection Mean Hiv?
- What Are Benefits That People With Hiv Can Get?
- Should Athletes With Hiv Be Allowed To Play Sports?
- How Long Does It Take For Hiv To Show Up In Your Bloodstream?
- Kind Of Food To Eat For Hiv
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.