Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I use the same bathroom as an HIV infected person
Oct 23, 2007

My room-mate, (let's call him JUNKMAN) is HIV +. While I can assure you that I am quite straight, I am extremely concerned about getting HIV from either the toilet seat or the shower. I'm not being paranoid, it's just this guy is flamboyantly gay...(or bi, he claims he's not )& I really question what he's doing in the bathroom (with a certain amount of disgust), he's also very dirty, clothes all over, dirty mixed with clean, moldy foodstuffs & is generally very disorganized & a slob.

Thanks for any answers

Response from Dr. Frascino

Dude,

You two sound like Felix and Oscar (The Odd Couple)! Even if you're straight as a lawn dart and Junkman is gay enough to bottom for Liberace, the only way you are going to contract his HIV infection using the same bathroom is if you decide to have unsafe sex with Junkman.

HIV is not transmitted by casual contact, dirty clothes, moldy foodstuffs or gay roommates, no matter how flamboyant or disorganized and slovenly they may be, OK? Take a read through the archives to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted. Then Netflix "The Odd Couple" to learn more about how to deal with your "Oscar."

Dr. Bob

Previous
Possible Occupational Exposure?
Next
Re: BOB URGENT!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.