|hello Dr. Bob: Why this happens: Very worried, not getting off my mind
Oct 22, 2007
Hi doctor, I have some questions. I an so stressed and sad. I consulted one GP who says has special interest in HIV and has knowledge on it. I took an HIV test at 6 months and was NEGATIVE. After 6 months, the test is highly accurate and reliable and not needed any more. I did ELISA.
1) But this GP told me to repeat the test after 6 months once again and that too PCR because he feels that ELISA is not reliable at 6 months and PCR would be good. What is he trying to say? I told him that PCR is not meant for testing and if testing then may be 1-2 months after exposure, so he said that is not correct. He said PCR is not very reliable after 2 months, it is reliale only after 6 months and ELISA test after 1 year.
2) Is there any truth in his statements? But everytime thought comes in my mind that he is a doctor, how can he give wrong information. A doctor must be knowing this basic information??
3) A doctor also can give wrong information who has no knowledge of the subject??
4) He says window period depends on the immune system. But I said to him I had no prolems in the past then also he said get tested with PCR after 6 months to get conclusive result. Why is he saying that?? He says HIV specialists do not take all perspective of window period?? Is he taking any other perspective for window period which made him say like that???
5) I once read in your posts that in some historical cases of co-infection, it took 1 year. So what do you say with modern tests, 6 months would be good and accurate if for co-infection. I should worry about that?
6) A dcotor said like that which is making me crazy. It is not getting off my mind.
Due to all this, I am not able to sleep and eat properly. Plz reply soon and be clear so that I become convinced.
Thanks and Regards
| Response from Dr. Frascino
Your GP may have a "special interest" in HIV, but I really have to question his assertion that he possesses special "knowledge" about HIV/AIDS based on the bogus information he provided to you! Your six-month negative ELISA test is indeed definitive and conclusive. Additional testing is not warranted.
1. You are correct and the GP is misinformed.
2. Nope! Not all doctors know "basic information."
3. Yep! Incorrect information is frequently given out. Just look at the Bush Administration. I don't think they've managed to give out any accurate or correct information in years.
4. You don't need any more HIV tests, and particularly not a PCR! What you do need is a more competent GP!
5. Your six-month test is definitive.
6. Don't go crazy. Go doctor shopping instead. Your current guy is a loser.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Are The Odds Of Getting HIV From Sex With Hooker?
- Does Red Eyes Mean I Have Hiv?
- Black Spots After Rimming Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Penis After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Urethra After Licking Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Urethra After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.