Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help please am on my own overseas
Oct 19, 2007

Hello Dr. Frascino, This is Sam. I sent you an email last night. I am on my own in the Gulf without any support. I told you about my unprotected sex that took place in August 2006 and again in Sep 2007. In October 2006, I had my first HIV screenig and was negative. But during the last 2 months, I have done 4 HIV tests, 2 in a laboratory and 2 through a home test kit made in Norway or Holland. All results negative. Last night I had a night sweat. I feel my lips are burning, white tongue, dry mouth, feeling malaise, lost some weight, occasional fever 38.2, soft stool, swinging apetite, sore throat, painful cold sore at the back of my palate that is going away. Do you think I am infected? If so, I need to fly back home to be next to my family in USA. What a horrible mistake i have committed, to have unprotected sex under the influence of alcohol. Please help me

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Sam,

Certainly unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Consequently you'll need an HIV test at the three-month mark from the time of your last potential exposure to determine conclusively if you've contracted HIV. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in determining who is and is not HIV infected. So try not to focus on these very nonspecific conditions. Your four negative tests within the past two months are encouraging, but not conclusive.

Do I think you are infected? I have absolutely no way of knowing one way or the other. However, I can tell you the odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from your unprotected sexcapades. Do I think you should fly back to the USA? No, of course not. What I think you should do is ratchet down your anxiety levels a few hundred notches and get your three-month HIV test as mentioned above. I also hope you've learned from this whole anxiety provoking experience that unprotected sex is not worth the potential consequences!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can't take this hell anymore
Next
did you heard about this

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.