The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HBV false positive

Oct 19, 2007

Dr Bob. Thanks very much for answering my e-mail last week. Im the hygienist who had a patient that told me, he had an infected blood then I went to get tested (after a week) and my test for HBV came positive, but I found out after another test and worried and going crazy that it was a false positive, the Dr gave me the HBV vaccine the day before. I felt better for a little while, but then I started to feel body aches, and now tingling in my right leg and arm Sometimes hot at night, 99f temperature. And also a lot of anxiety thinking in the possibility of being infected with HIV. When I went to see the Dr first time she told me not to worry about it, my risk was really minimal. Then when she told me I was HBV positive she told me that I really need to be tested for HIV. And if I knew the patient and to get him tested. I dont know the patient and I dont know where he is at. Like I told you I didnt felt any splashes and I dont have any cuts at the time.(he was bleeding from his gums) Its been 4 weeks since the incident with the patient. I was feeling better about this 3 weeks ago reading your archives and laughing with your answers. But then the Dr with the false positive and her comments about that I could be infected really increased my level of anxiety Im currently taking Buspirone (anxiety)and Ambien (to sleep). And probably seeing a psychologist to deal with this anxiety. Dr God bless you for all you do for a lots and lots of people .

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Anxious Hygienist,

Your problem is psychological (anxiety), not virological (HIV)! A single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark may well be the most effective and efficient way for you to put your unwarranted worries permanently to rest. In the interim seeing a psychologist would indeed be worthwhile.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob please i am on my knees begging you
Dou Hiv antibody/p24 antigen test

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint