|Dr. Bob please i am on my knees begging you
Oct 19, 2007
Hello dr. On Tuesday the 18th of September i was at a park playing basketball and for some reason i looked down at my left hand and i saw some blood on the the tip of my finger. The blood wasnt a lot and it was only on the crack between the skin and my nail. The blood was around the side of my nail and in the front of the nail. While i was looking at it i thought that i saw my nail bent like i had jammed my finger so therefore i thought thats what happened and thats where the blood came from, from under my nail so without thinking anymore i put my finger in my mouth and bit off the nail. Now i obviously didnt put my whole finger in my mouth i just put enough to bite off the nail. Then i continued playing basketball. Now the next day i bcame scared and thinking what if that was someone elses blood and i stupidly put my finger to my mouth and bit off my nail. I have no reason to suspect it was someone elses blood other than the fact i was playing basketball with other people. I didnt see anyone bleeding or anything like that. Also, later that night i went to the store and i hit the same finger on my car door and a little tiny bit of blood came out from under the nial in the same area and i thought that was proof that i had probably gotten my nail jammed while i was playing and that was probably my blood but i cant be certain. I dont remember tasting any blood at all and i have no cuts or sores or anything like that in my mouth. I am scared to death. I went to my regular Doctor and i told him about this and he said that he was 99.9% sure i would be ok but he is sending me for a test at my request in 6 weeks but he is not an HIV expert. Can you tell me what my risk was and if i need testing at all or do i need pep. I am so scared. Please dr. Bob can you help me. Also, for like the last week or so my body has been real achy a little bit. I had some light pain for a few days in my groin area right about my penis in the pubic hair region, its pretty much gone now. Also on tuesday night i went to bed and i woke up yesterday with pain on the pack of my thigh, it felt like i pulled a muscle or something but it was fine when i went to bed. I put some icy hot on it and it hurt all day yesterday but its fine now today, And then this morning while i was brushing my teeth i noticed two darker colored spots on my toungue on the top near the tip of the tongue. They are identical on each side of the crack that goes down the middle of the toungue. I have a canker sore near one of them and as far as i can tell the spots dont hurt. I am reall scared that all of my smyptoms are from ARS and i dont know what to do. I have had no fevers at all and i generally feel fine except for the things i outlined in my post and the stress and worrying i have been putting myself through these last 4 weeks. PLease dr. can i have your HOnest medical opinion. Do i need any testing based on my risk and my symptoms. I just wanted to play basketball now all of this. I am lost, scared, and alone and dont know what to do. Please help me. Thank You.
| Response from Dr. Frascino
Begging isn't necessary. Now get up off your knees before you skin those too and begin worrying about possible HIV from that as well. Dude, relax. Your HIV risk is nonexistent. Your non-HIV expert doctor told you he was 99.9% sure you are OK. Well, this HIV expert doctor will vouch for the other 0.1%, giving you 100% reassurance, OK? I see absolutely no reason for you to be concerned or get HIV tested. Your "symptoms" are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV ARS. The only reason to get tested would be to put your unwarranted and irrational HIV worries permanently to rest. The test will unquestionably be negative.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.