Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

weird how body can mimic symptoms
Oct 19, 2007

I find it fascinating how when one thinks they have HIV their body sort of follows suit and seems to mimic the symptoms you are worried you have.

I cant tell you how many times I imagined having swollen glands just to be told it was a expanded saliva gland, or just a normal enlagement.

or how I misjudged what exactly a night sweat was. turns out I was really just so stressed out lying in bed at night thinking about possibly being positive and flushed with being scared I was sweating all right, but not an HIV related sweat.

you start feeling bumps and things. your mind runs wild.it seems so sure you;ve got it. I was feeling all these lumps in my body just to find out later they were soemthing called fatty lipids or somethin.

I guess what I just want to say, is get tested, but realize, your body in tandem with your mind has the ability to give you what you fear on a silver platter.

but take a step back and use this as a wake up call to change what your mind is subconciously telling you is risky behaviour. or in my case, a sort of irrational fear for no rational reason.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Psychosomatic symptoms induced by anxiety and fear are actually extremely common. Just browse through the extensive archives of this forum for at least a gazillion examples.

Your advice is spot on target. Testing is really the only option for folks who feel they've placed themselves at risk for HIV.

Dr. Bob

Previous
How Can I Give Back?
Next
Tear gas and Elisa test?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.