Scared Dentist

Dr Bob Im a female young dentist in Mexico and Im scare. Here is what happened : about 4 weeks ago I did some dental work on my cousin. (four dental preps for crowns) . But after a few days I was wondering about him because he had visited South America (colombia) four months ago , and he was wondering that he could have been infected with hiv, he had herpes infection from that trip. And he is very scared in getting tested. The anxiety and fear is overwhelming. Cant sleep,work and eat properly. I dont recall in having any splashes ( but handpiece works very fast and he was bleeding), I dont have any cuts and I was working by myself (no assistant) .

I have been to the Dr and she told me that I have a very low risk in getting infected. Well lately (3 days)I have experience mild body aches and fatigue, mild sore throat. I found a lump in inner thight bigger than the other side. Dr what is the window period? and when can I stop worryng about it? Please Dr your opinion will be definitive and I can continue with my life. Thank you and I will send donation and teach other about HIV prevention.

Scared dentist.

Hello Scared Dentist,

Your HIV risk is nonexistent. HIV cannot permeate intact skin. Routine universal precautions that should be used on all patients are all that's required to keep you safe.

Your cousin should definitely get a rapid HIV test three months (or later) after his last potential HIV exposure. Being very scared of getting tested doesn't change the reality of the situation.

If you are having difficulty with anxiety related to your (unwarranted) HIV fears, you should seek professional help in coping with these irrational fears. If you remain convinced you are at risk for HIV, then get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark to put your irrational fears permanently to rest.

ready to give up
Scary symptoms