Am I putting him at risk?

Dr. Bob, I just wanted to say what a comfort you and the other experts on thebody have been as I come to terms with my new reality. I am in a very loving magnetic relationship with an HIV negative guy who also happens to have Type 1 Diabetes. Since learning my status we have practiced VERY safe sex but I am concerned about the needle pricks he has to do for blood glucose testing. Is there a risk of HIV transmission if his fingertips come in contact with my semen? I am now sure if I am just being hypervigilant or if this is something I need to be concerned about but I do know I love my partner very much and couldn't handle hurting him in any way.

Thank you for listening. Scared.

Hi Scared,

Yes, I'd say you were being hypervigilant. However, if you want an extra degree of safety your partner could use a small dab of liquid bandage (New-Skin, Band-Aid Liquid Bandage, etc.) for an extra layer of protection.

Best of luck and love to you both.

Should I worry about HIV
Unsure but I take meds anyway