The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Broken Condom

Oct 18, 2007

My girlfriend was recently diagnosed with hiv. She has had it for awhile because it has developed into aids. I am so far have been showing up negative. Well the other night we got drunk and had protected sex. But twice during sex I saw that the condom had broke . I changed it as soon as I saw it was broken but dont know how long I had gone with it broken. Her last blood work showed she had a tcell count of 4 and a viral load of 46,000. What are my chances I was infected? And are there condoms that are more durable?

Response from Dr. Frascino


Condom failure does place you at some degree of risk for HIV. You will need HIV tests at the three-month mark and, if negative, at the six-month mark. (The six-month follow-up test is a CDC recommendation based on the fact you had a documented significant exposure.)

Condom failure is an extremely rare occurrence if the latex condoms are used properly with water-or silicone-based lubricants. I would suggest you check the expiration date on your condoms and also check your lubricant to see if it is indeed water- or silicone-based. As for "more durable" condoms, most major brands have an "extra strength" variety (Durex Extra-Strength, Lifestyles Extra-Strength, etc.). However, in most cases, condom failure (breakage) is the result of improper use rather than lack of durability. Review your condom technique! (See archives.)

Dr. Bob

you never answer me what am i chopped liver?
RE: loogie

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint