Help Please Foolish UK Man (follow up)

Dear Dr Bob,

Thank you for answering my question I feel quite humbled, and I liked the comment about my use of the word virginal!! Gee I have been stressed out lately. The lady I slept with had a really bad night sweat and was very odd the next morning with me and has since refused to return any of my attempts to contact her and ask any questions. I did think a lot of it till I started to get a fever, nightsweats, diarhea, nasuea etc.. around 3 weeks later. I'm still not at ease as my lymph nodes are still up(general non painful) and this damn oral thrush won't shift. Both have been diagnosed by my doctor along with pain and weakness in my hands and legs. He tested me for glandular fever and it came back negative. I've been on antidepressants (metazapine) for a while and my immune system was never the strongest as a child. I'm not doubting your initial answer just trying to flesh out the information a little and I want to try to get back to normality with my girlfriend who has stood by me through all this. She really is a saint. I'm recieveing counselling, this has really hit me hard and it's effecting the people around me (which i'm ashamed of as i've been weak). Of course I want to believe my results but all the time I have these symptoms it's been impossible What I really want to know is can I woohoo or should I test more?

Thank you

Hi Foolish UK-Guy,

I have no doubt about your being "stressed out lately." So "virginal" lady was "very odd the next morning"??? Hmmm . . . just how odd was she? In the morning light did she resemble Margaret Thatcher or, worse yet, Dick Cheney? Oh never mind. Your question now is "Can I WOO-HOO or should I test more?" Hmmm . . . UK Guy, exactly what part of my previous post are you having difficulty understanding? As I've already said: "Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 12 weeks are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. A negative HIV test outside the window period trumps 'symptoms' each and every time."

I have not changed my assessment. See below. Stop worrying. Start WOO-HOOing.

Help Please Foolish UK Man Oct 9, 2007

Dr Bob,

I had unprotected drunken virginal sex with a women I've since come to believe is HIV +. I had a cut on my penis after!! I've had numerous symptoms over the last few months including oral thrush that has not gone after 2 courses of treatment. I had this after initial fever at 3 weeks, night sweats, sore throat etc... I've now got swollen glands in my groin and one side of my neck!! Despite all this I've tested negative at 8.5, 10 and 12 weeks? Am I in the clear as far as HIV is concerned or would you recommend further testing? Please help I'm going out of my mind.

Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 12 weeks are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. A negative HIV test outside the window period trumps "symptoms" each and every time.

And dude, just how much risk could there be in having "VIRGINAL" sex???

courte penetration
Doctor-instilled fear of rapid tests