Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV discordancy and ARVs
Oct 15, 2007

I am HIV negative and have an HIV positive partner. We have been together for 8 months, and although for the most part I feel comfortable about the discordancy there are times where I panic and I am really scared and it is putting some strain on us. We tested early on in the relationship and I decided to stay in the relationship. He is now on ARVs. His CD4 count has risen and his last viral load was undetectable. We use condoms always. What is my risk of infection in this scenario.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

If latex condoms are used properly and do not fail (break), your HIV-transmission risk is essentially nonexistent. HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how.

I strongly advise both you and your partner read through the sections of the archives of this forum dedicated to magnetic couples, HIV transmission and safer sexual practices. You should find the information and testimonials there reassuring. Communication is key in any relationship, but is even more essential for magnetic couples. Couples counseling may help if communication about this topic is difficult for the two of you. Also I would recommend discussing your concerns with your partner's HIV doctor. He should also be helpful in addressing your fears. He may also arrange for a starter course of PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) in case there is an unavoidable exposure.

From personal experience, I can tell you magnetic relationships can be magnificently successful. You'll read about this in the archives as well.

Good luck to you both.

Dr. Bob

Previous
uneducated question scared (SPIT)
Next
THANK YOU!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.