Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I get a PCR test?
Oct 14, 2007

Hi Dr. Bob, Thank goodness for you and your patience. Your forum is a much appreciated venue for reliable information. I had unprotected receptive anal sex 4 weeks ago. It was with an anonymous partner who didn't ejaculate in me. Over the past two weeks I have been experiencing a range of symptoms that indicate some type of infection. I.e. - upper body rash, fever on and off, occasional chills, and a pretty relentless sore throat. I visited a (obviously homophobic) Doctor who told me he was convinced I was seroconverting and ordered a PCR test. I opted for an Oraquick antibody test (I know it's not completely reliable at 4 weeks) because of the price of the PCR test and the rate of false positives. I subsequently visited an emergency room a couple days ago where I was tested for mono, lyme disease, meningitis, etc. Everything was negative. The three Doctors there recommended a PCR test. I'm conflicted. My question: 1. Any idea of how often antibodies show up 3 and 1/2 weeks after infection? 2. What is the rate of false positives for PCR tests? I read somewhere that it is between 3 and 10 percent! Is that true. 3. If so, why the hell are these Doctors telling me to get one?

I would greatly appreciate an answer. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Visiting an "obviously homophobic" doctor for possible HIV infection is not a wise choice!

Certain types of PCR tests can sometimes be helpful in diagnosing primary HIV infection prior to the development of detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in the blood (seroconversion). However, PCR tests should not be used for routine HIV screening, due to the level of false-positives, other technical concerns and cost. HIV-antibody tests (like OraQuick) are not considered to be reliable prior to the three-month mark.

To specifically address your questions:

1. No. Since HIV-antibody tests are not considered to be reliable prior to the three-month mark, there is no good data on the reliability of a 3.5-week test. What I can tell you is that the vast majority of HIV-infected folks will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood within four to six weeks of primary HIV infection.

2. The rate of false-positives depends on the type of PCR test. For HIV RNA PCR, false-positive tests occur between 2% and 9% and usually at low viral titers of less than 10,000 copies per milliliter.

3. I can't really comment on the advice given by others. What I can do is advise you on the scientific facts that are available and give my personal opinion. Hope that helps.

One final point: Although I'm confident you may now have already learned this lesson well, unprotected sex is not worth the risk!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can I trust him?
Next
Tips for oral sex without condoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.