PEP

I recently had receptive anal intercourse with an HIV Positive person. He did cum inside me and I immediately went to the local ER to talk to a doctor about PEP. He prescribed Combivir to be taken twice daily for 28 days. I then went to the 24 hour pharmacy (episode happened at 12:30 AM) to fill the prescription. I took the first pill no more than about 2 hours after exposure.

I keep hearing about PEP being three drugs instead of just two. Combivir only has two. Did the doctor give me enough medicines?

You did the correct thing in seeking medical attention and beginning PEP ASAP after your HIV exposure. The chances of PEP being successful are greatest if it's begun as soon as possible after an exposure. Optimizing a PEP regimen requires a more thorough evaluation, taking into account many variables. This is best accomplished by an HIV specialist. I advise all individuals who have had an HIV exposure significant enough to warrant PEP to have an HIV specialist involved in their care. The specialist will more accurately document your HIV risk, optimize your PEP regimen, evaluate and manage any PEP-related side effects or toxicities and arrange for and interpret your post-PEP follow-up HIV tests. Combivir is a good start. I cannot advise whether or not the regimen should be intensified with an additional anti-HIV medication without additional information. I urge you to see an HIV specialist at your earliest convenience and to continue taking Combivir in the interim.

Can I have HIV from rimming and protected anal sex?
Please answer quickly...time of the essence