Re-submitted from Fatigue and Anemia forum

ELISA Test Results Oct 9, 2007

Dear Dr. Bob,

I do have protected sex/unprotected (condom tearing) with multiple sex workers partners of unknown HIV status. I used to take regular testing of V.D.R.L and HIV 1 & 2 Elisa . Previously I used to get the results as V.D.R.L negative AND HIV 1 & 2 (ELISA/MEIA) as negative too. But for the past two results one last July and the other last week is coming different. July result was V.D.R.L non-reactive and HIV 1 & 2 also non-reactive but with a OD of .29 (.4 being the cut-off). Last weeks test result came as V.D.R.L negative but HIV 1 & 2 ELISA as non-reactive but with OD of 0.036). Previous four tests last year and Jan came as all negative. I intend to continue testing every 3 months or so. The last condom burst during vaginal intercourse was on last week of May, 2007. All the sex workers had tested V.D.R.L. negative post the incident. What is the interpretation of this ? Should I go in for Virus Load test or Western Blot method ?

My interpretation is that based on the results provided you are HIV and syphilis (VDRL) negative. Period. All of your HIV-1 and HIV-2 tests have been negative (below the cutoff). The OD reading is a technical number having to do with the details of the testing assay. So long as your value is below the cutoff, your result is negative. No additional or specialized testing is warranted. In particular I would not recommend a viral load test or Western Blot.

Your VDRL tests are also all completely negative.

My only advice would be to check the fit and expiration date of your condoms. They should only rarely fail (break) if used properly with adequate water-based lubricant. Remember, lubrication is your friend! OK?

Dr Bob Please respond soon
Chances of contracting HIV