Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr Bob Please respond soon
Oct 12, 2007

Dr Bob, First let me say Thank You..You have made me laugh and smile in a time I needed it the most. Glad you are back as well.I am 41 yr old feamale and I had a stupid moment on aug 10and had unprotected straight vag sex. he did ejac inside of me. (ughh i hate writing that)I contacted his sister as he is engaged and living with his fiance and I felt I could not call him. She said that he had been somewhat permiscuous and had even at one time used drugs intraveneously on occasion. She said he claimed he had always been clean when using needles. As most everyone here I have spent many sleepless nights and have had a muriad of symptoms which according to you and many others really don't mean a thing as stress and anxiety can do wonders on the mind and body. I can verify that one. Testing history since aug 10 are as follows pcr by dna two of them one 5 days post the other 31 days post both were neg. An oraquick test at an std clinic 6 wks and 3 days post, neg. Then a finger prick test at an std clinic 8 wks post also neg. My question is that I have read of high risk exp and low risk exp with the info I have given was my risk high or low? Also I have read that an eight week neg is very encouraging and the odds are extremely in my favor of remaining neg. Please give me your professional opinion which I value very much and some good karma would be appreciated as well. I will be sending yuo a donation as I am so very appreciative of the work you are doing. I can assure you this will never happen to me again. I also plan to return for a 12 week test and will keep you posted. Thank you so much, a mistake once = a lesson learned

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Lesson Learned,

Unprotected receptive vaginal sex does place you at risk for STDs, including HIV. "High" and "low" are relative terms. More important would be risk or no risk! Since you had some degree of risk, HIV testing is warranted at the three-month mark. Testing prior to three months is not considered to be definitive. I do not recommend PCR for routine HIV screening due to the rate of false-positive tests, other technical considerations and cost.

Your negative tests out to eight weeks are indeed extremely encouraging! "Symptoms," I agree, are not reliable indicators of HIV seropositivity.

Thanks for your donation. In return I'm sending my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV test remains negative. I very strongly suspect it will!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ANSWER ME :-(
Next
Re-submitted from Fatigue and Anemia forum

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.