Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Kissing and hiv (ORAL FLUID TEST, SALIVA, )
Oct 9, 2007

I am just curious, if hiv is not transmitted from kissing without bloody contacts, why is it that oraquick, a product from orasure detects hiv presence in the saliva (no blood in saliva) during the 15 min test? Can you further explain this to me?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

As in the case with so many questions submitted to this forum, the answer you request was already waiting for you in the archives. See below.

Dr. Bob

saliva q Jul 18, 2006

Dear Dr.Bob,

I've read it in the archives that the saliva is steril, i.e. free of any HIV presense. In that case, how do they detect HIV in it when they do OraQuick tests? May be it's not all that safe for lube, etc.? Thank you

Hello,

Saliva is not, technically speaking, a sterile fluid, i.e. completely free of all germs. In addition, it may contain trace amounts of HIV; however, it does not transmit HIV infection for a variety of somewhat technical reasons. Having said that, I will also point out that the OraQuick oral test is not a saliva-based test! I've addressed this several times in the past and therefore will repost a question and reply form the archives below.

Please note the answer to your question was already waiting for you in the archives. All you needed to do was double click!

Dr. Bob

new saliva test? Nov 6, 2005

For years we've heard that HIV cannot be transmitted by saliva. If that's so, then why is there a new home test that may be approved and you take a swab from your mouth of saliva?

Hello,

Actually "saliva test" is somewhat of a misnomer. This test removes particles from the inside of your cheek, not from your spit. The test detects anti-HIV antibodies, which are proteins that your body's immune system creates in response to HIV. It does not measure the actual HIV virus itself. Antibodies are non-infectious. OK?

Dr. Bob

Is Oraquick Saliva Test Reliable Sep 23, 2005

Dr. Bob,

First, let me thank you for the wonderful work that you do on these forms. I have spent many hours reading them to help calm myself and find answers. Your honesty & humor is comforting I am sure to many. Again,thanks. My problem is had frottage with a stripper and have been worried sick ever since. I think some vaginal secretions might have got inside. Any ways I took the Oraquick saliva test at 3,4,5 & 6 weeks. I do this as it helps me get through another week. I am quite confused though as the girl at the clinic said to me at my 6 week test it takes the virus longer to show up in the saliva than in the blood.She acted like I was wasting my time but yet still took my money for a test even when I told her how many weeks it had been. Therefore any hope I had is now crushed. But the other lady at the clinic felt at my 5 week test I could come back to re-test only if I wanted. She said the tests are very accurate. What is your take on this Oraquick saliva & its reliability. Is it every bit as good besides a dna test in picking up the virus. Also, its not checking your saliva but rather the mucus beetween your gums ? Am I correct ? Can I somewhat feel comforted at a 6 week negative. I have read many different things, even on this site recently regarding 6 week testing. I have truly made myself sick over all this worrying and symptoms I think I have.

Hi,

Actually, "saliva test" is somewhat of a misnomer. The lab tech actually is removing particles form the inside of your cheek, not from your spit. The test actually detects antibodies that the body creates in response to HIV, rather than the actual HIV virus itself. The sensitivity and specificity of OraQuick tests exceed 99%. A negative six-week test is encouraging, but not definitive. The same three-month "window period" applies to this oral fluid test as to blood tests.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
nPEP and PCR testing... PLEASE answer
Next
What is the wierdest case you have encountered?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.