Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Repeated False Positives
Sep 26, 2007

Back in early october of last year My partner and I went for our routine sexual health check up where I had subsequently returned a positive ELISA, but a neg Western Blot. Over the course of almost twelve months I have continued returning 5 false positive's. In the twelve years I have been recieving check-ups I've never had a false positive before. I recently underwent a Proviral (HIV) DNA and Tcell Subsets (CD4 count), and am yet to recieve the outcome. Is it likely that it will return a definative answer regarding whether or not I am or am not +...or is the Proviral is not 100% failsafe, It has been an extremely long wait and I have heard many conflicting arguments. How can I be certain? are there other tests available.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

A positive ELISA with a negative Western Blot is considered a negative HIV test. I see no reason for additional testing.

Proviral DNA PCR can be helpful in sorting out disputed or indeterminate serologic tests. Your DNA PCR will be undetectable. T-cell subset analysis is not warranted, as you don't have an HIV diagnosis and the test is not a diagnostic screening test for HIV disease.

Dr. Bob

Previous
blot test (INDETERMINANTE WESTERN BLOT)
Next
DR BOB=MAGNIFICENT lll WOOOOHOOO!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.