Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Death's Door
Sep 26, 2007

Dear Dr. Bob,

Am I being too insensitive on this? Our local AIDS Service Organization in Madison, WI recently decided to partner with a liquor company that is promoting a new vodka named "DEATH'S DOOR SPIRITS' THE ASO and Death's Door are partnering to do a bartender challenge to come up with a new "Death's Door Cocktail" that will be served at all of the ASO's social functions.

As a client I find this offensive beyond words. I raised concerns and was told "sorry if we offended, but we're going to do it anyways". What about the portion of our community that is at death's door? What about the family members that have lost loved one to AIDS? What about those like me who have been at death's door on several occassion with AIDS related complications?

Ok. I vented (Thanks) So, am I off base here? I'm usually not the "politically correct" kind of guy, but this just hits me at so many levels as being a total screw up on the part of an agency that should be worried about the clients instead of creating a new cocktail.

Dupont

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Dupont,

Are you being too "insensitive"??? No, just the opposite. You're being over sensitive. "Death's Door" is an urban expression and certainly not intimately linked to HIV/AIDS. I don't particularly think it's a great name for a beverage, but then again I didn't think "Google" was a good name for a search engine or "Yahoo," a good name for an online information portal. Are you equally bent out of shape because the popular cocktail called "Sex on the Beach" isn't more appropriately named "Safe Sex on the Beach???" Lighten up, Dupont. Have a cocktail.

Dr. Bob

Previous
homeless shelter / new nurse
Next
Pubic Hair

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.