Death's Door

Dear Dr. Bob,

Am I being too insensitive on this? Our local AIDS Service Organization in Madison, WI recently decided to partner with a liquor company that is promoting a new vodka named "DEATH'S DOOR SPIRITS' THE ASO and Death's Door are partnering to do a bartender challenge to come up with a new "Death's Door Cocktail" that will be served at all of the ASO's social functions.

As a client I find this offensive beyond words. I raised concerns and was told "sorry if we offended, but we're going to do it anyways". What about the portion of our community that is at death's door? What about the family members that have lost loved one to AIDS? What about those like me who have been at death's door on several occassion with AIDS related complications?

Ok. I vented (Thanks) So, am I off base here? I'm usually not the "politically correct" kind of guy, but this just hits me at so many levels as being a total screw up on the part of an agency that should be worried about the clients instead of creating a new cocktail.

Dupont

Hello Dupont,

Are you being too "insensitive"??? No, just the opposite. You're being over sensitive. "Death's Door" is an urban expression and certainly not intimately linked to HIV/AIDS. I don't particularly think it's a great name for a beverage, but then again I didn't think "Google" was a good name for a search engine or "Yahoo," a good name for an online information portal. Are you equally bent out of shape because the popular cocktail called "Sex on the Beach" isn't more appropriately named "Safe Sex on the Beach???" Lighten up, Dupont. Have a cocktail.

homeless shelter / new nurse
Pubic Hair