The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ARS Question (2nd Time)

Sep 26, 2007

Dr. Bob,

I hope you will answer this as I am going through hell right now. On 9/2/07 I had a brief contact with a another man in an adult book store. He grabbed my penis and stroked it for about a minute without ejaculation. I was very intoxicated at the time but I did not notice any fluids on his hand. 17 days later I came down with a fever (99 to 101 deg.) and headache. The fever went away in 48 hours, but the headaches persist. I've also had night sweats since the fever started. I am very concerned about ARS since the timing is perfectly within the ARS window and the headaches haven't gone away.

I haven't told my wife, and we had sex once since this happened (before the symptoms started). I wasn't concerned initially because the experts all say you can't catch HIV/STDs from hand-to-genital contact.

1) Do you think I might be the rare exception based on my symptoms?

2) Should I get tested for acute infection (i.e., PCR)?

3) Do my symptoms sound like ARS to you?

I am worried as I don't want to give anything to my wife.

Thanks Dr. Bob. You are the greatest.

Mr. Worried.

Response from Dr. Frascino


1. Nope.

2. Testing is not medically warranted. If you get tested, it will be solely to put your unwarranted HIV worries to rest.

3. Nope.

My advice is that you level with your wife. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do.

Dr. Bob

Can you get HIV throguh humping your dog.
homeless shelter / new nurse

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint