ARS Question (2nd Time)

Dr. Bob,

I hope you will answer this as I am going through hell right now. On 9/2/07 I had a brief contact with a another man in an adult book store. He grabbed my penis and stroked it for about a minute without ejaculation. I was very intoxicated at the time but I did not notice any fluids on his hand. 17 days later I came down with a fever (99 to 101 deg.) and headache. The fever went away in 48 hours, but the headaches persist. I've also had night sweats since the fever started. I am very concerned about ARS since the timing is perfectly within the ARS window and the headaches haven't gone away.

I haven't told my wife, and we had sex once since this happened (before the symptoms started). I wasn't concerned initially because the experts all say you can't catch HIV/STDs from hand-to-genital contact.

1) Do you think I might be the rare exception based on my symptoms?

2) Should I get tested for acute infection (i.e., PCR)?

3) Do my symptoms sound like ARS to you?

I am worried as I don't want to give anything to my wife.

Thanks Dr. Bob. You are the greatest.

Mr. Worried.

1. Nope.

2. Testing is not medically warranted. If you get tested, it will be solely to put your unwarranted HIV worries to rest.

3. Nope.

My advice is that you level with your wife. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do.

Can you get HIV throguh humping your dog.
homeless shelter / new nurse