Dr Bob I have Symptoms and Really Need Your Advice

Dr Bob,

First I want to say you do a great service on this forum.

I had a concerning encounter with a person whose HIV status is unknown 23 days ago. On day 17 I came down with a fever from 99-101 that lasted for 48 hours. What is concerning me is my headache which started at the same time as the fever (and the excruciating stress) and has not let up for 6 days now. The headache is there when I wake up and when I go to bed. OTC medications do NOT make it go away. I am so stressed out I cannot eat much, my mouth is dry all the time, and I obsess about having HIV. The headache has me extremely worried, it did not go away with the fever and remains to this day. I have never had major problems with headaches before now.

Does this sound like ARS? Other than the 48-hour fever and the terrible headache I have no other symptoms.

The contact I had was receiving an unprotected handjob for about 1 minute from a person of unknown status. He kept rubbing his thumb over my urethra which in reflection concerns me. I have no idea if he had cuts or fluids on his hands.

PLEASE answer me Dr. Bob and I will donate as I need some advice and I respect you tremendously.

Thanks, Mr. Worried

Hello Mr. Worried,

An "unprotected handjob" is not a risk for HIV transmission. Your HIV risk is nonexistent and your symptoms are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV. "Excruciating stress . . . obsessing about having HIV . . ." and being "extremely worried" can cause persistent headache. There are lots of other potential causes as well, such as sinusitis. I can't diagnose the exact cause over the Internet. What I can do is advise that HIV is not the cause! If you need further reassurance, get a single rapid HIV test at the there-month mark. The result will undoubtedly be negative. In the meantime, if your headaches persist, see your doctor for an evaluation. Mr. Worried, I firmly believe your first name should be "Needlessly." That would make you Mr. Needlessly Worried.

should I worry?
Guten Morgen Uber Doktor!