Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

All about PEP
Sep 25, 2007

Hi Dr. Bob,

I know you're extremely busy but I hope you can answer my question. Regardless of if you do or not, I want to offer you a sincere thank for the wonderful work you do here.

I have a few questions regarding PEP.

1 - Is PEP warranted only when there is a confirmed exposure to HIV, or just a possible one? For example, let's say someone was banging a pro and the condom broke. Would this warrant using PEP?

2 - Can PEP be effective more than once? For example, it's possible that some magnetic couple might have several exposures over the course of a few years (say, the condom continues to break). Is it okay to take PEP more than once in one's lifetime?

3 - How common is the need for PEP in magnetic couples? If this is too personal I apologize, but has your partner ever had a need for PEP?

Thanks again for all your help Doctor Bob. I hope you continue to stay well and mentally positive.

Steve

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Steve,

1. The general guideline is as follows: for folks seeking care less than 72 hours after a nonoccupational exposure to blood, genital secretions or other potentially infectious body fluids of a person known to be HIV infected, PEP is recommended when that exposure represents a substantial risk for transmission. In the situation you describe, PEP could be "considered," but would not necessarily be routinely recommended.

2. Yes, PEP can be used more than once. But Steve, just how unlucky can you be to have so many condoms breaking? Have you checked the expiration date on your Magnums? Also Stevie, don't forget, "lubrication is your friend," OK?

3. No, my Steve (Dr. Steve the physician expert in the Body's Tratamientos -- En Español forum)has never had to use a course of PEP, although we have one ready just in case. We've been together for 14 years and have a very active sex life. Condoms when used properly rarely fail.

As for my staying "positive," you can count on it. (I don't really have any other choice, right?!?)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please help
Next
Dr. Bob, please answer, very much worried. I will donate,

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.