Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Brief Exposure, Large Risk?
Sep 25, 2007

Hi Dr. Bob,

First of all, as many others I admire your work and your witty comments. (I am from Mexico so sorry in advance for any spelling/redaction mistakes) You have an amazing patience and a great sense of humor.

Now for my particular case, on sep 7 I had a one night stand with an unknown HIV status woman on France. We both were traveling on vacations (she was from Middle East) and met in a Bar, you know the rest of the story.

Unfortunatelly few moments before climax, I felt how condom broke, I confirmed it with my own eyes but in the heat of the moment (and feeling stupidized because of the previous drinks at the bar) I couldn't stop, I just pulled the broken rubber and went on for a couple of minutes... then came into her.

As for my "social concience", I am at rest as I knew for sure I was negative before the encounter so I know I didn't infected her of anything. Even if I don't ever see/speak with her again, I am calm. Just maybe with a son somewhere!!! ;)

As for my personal health, I am very concerned and share the anxiety of many others who have written to you.

I know i will not be sure of anything until my post-3-months ELISA test but just writting this makes me feel somehow better.

Regardless of this, I still want some "comfort words" if possible, considering the following:

- We were using tons of lubricant, would this in anyway would help my penis hole (I don't know proper name) to be somehow "safer" for any infections? - I didn't have any other STD's at the moment. - In my HUGE anxiety, I already had 2 tests for VIH, VDRL, HEP A, B & C and all resulted negative (at 6 and 13 days after), I know this aren't conclusive but are "temporarly soothing".

I appreciate in advance any answer and thanks again in the name of many who have read this forum.

Alex

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Alex,

"Comfort words" for knowing that your condom broke but deciding to continue on as Commando Rambo nonetheless? Hmmm . . . I'm not exactly sure what you want me to say. This was a lapse in judgment. There really is no way around that. However, the past is history and tomorrow, a mystery, so you should focus on the reality of today. You are correct: you need a three-month HIV test for a definitive result. Statistically the odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV, but you'll still need to get tested. "Tons of lubricant" really isn't an HIV-prevention technique.

Don't be too hard on yourself. We are all only human and that means we all make mistakes even yours truly! What's important is that we admit our mistakes, accept the consequences of our actions and learn from our indiscretions.

Good luck with your three-month test!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Re: hiv frottage / lap dance
Next
PEPSE rejection (nPEP)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.