Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Suicicidal Thoughts a Symptom?
Sep 25, 2007

Hi Dr., After my questions please direct me on how to make a donation to the foundation.(I HAVE READ ARCHIVES BUT STILL CONFUSED)

Q: I had unprotected oral sex with a sex worker for 20-40 seconds. I had been tested for STD/HIV one month later and results were negative. After the 3 month mark do i need to go back. And how come on most STD?HIV risk charts for the column of man receieving oral sex they dont even list HEPATITIS or HIV as a possible or known risk ? have their been no documented cases ?I have had no symptoms . EXCEPT ONE! SUICIDAL THOUGHTS! but i am not the type are these thoughts because of anxiety or is it a symptom? What are my chances or is it even possible? SHOULD I WOO HOO ? or see a phychiatrist?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Regarding hepatitis B, the transmission risk via oral sex would be negligible; however no studies have specifically measured the transmission risk. Hepatitis B is transmitted primarily through unprotected anal sex.

In terms of hepatitis A, it can be transmitted quite easily via rimming. Sucking is low risk unless you swallow fecal matter during the encounter. (Sorry for the graphic description, but you asked!)

Protection from hepatitis A and hepatitis B is easily obtained by getting vaccinated!

As for HIV, there have been some documented cases of men getting infected from sucking. There are no documented cases of getting HIV from getting sucked, although there are a few anecdotal case reports. The overall HIV risk from oral sex is very low, unless there are extenuating circumstances. That is why it is not listed on some risk charts, although you will find it on others.

Are suicidal thoughts a symptom of HIV? No, of course not, nutty. They are a symptom of anxiety. If you are concerned you placed yourself at risk for STDs, including HIV, get tested. It really is just that straightforward. For HIV, wait until the three-month mark, as HIV-antibody tests taken prior to this are not considered to be definitive, OK? Should you see a psychiatrist? Yes, if you're having suicidal thoughts, absolutely!

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's newly updated Web site at www.concertedeffort.org.

Good luck! I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dear Dr Bob
Next
Re: hiv frottage / lap dance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.