Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I finally found out I am HIV positive from my Comfirtory test now what
Sep 24, 2007

Doc

I am 28 years old have my whole life ahead of me. I finally got the test result back after 3 weeks. It is positive. I don't know what my next step to is I don't have medical I don't have a job. I don't have any way to pay for anything. So how can I get a doctor to tell me what my viral load is or CD4 count is if I can't even afford it. Now my worry is also If my BF doesn't haven't and I didn't have sex with anyone but him how else could I have gotten it. I don't even know what to do. I kept praying it was negative. i am scared, worried, and concerned beside if my partner doesnt have it what are the satistics that he would stay with me anyways. Not very good he already said he can't kiss me or have sex with me ever as if he is neg. he can't risk getting it.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about your positive test. A positive HIV test is always a shock and I understand why you are feeling overwhelmed at the moment. A period of adjustment to your new reality is to be expected. I don't know where you are writing from. However, if it's the United States or almost any other industrialized nation, you should be able to access some health care services. A good place to start would be your local department of public health and/or your local AIDS service organizations. You can find the phone numbers by Googling "AIDS service organization" and the name of your city or town. The public health department should be listed in the phone book. These organizations should be able to get you hooked up with a clinic or physician. I would also suggest you utilize the wealth of information on this site. Begin with the "Just Diagnosed" section easily accessed on The Body's homepage under "Quick Links."

As for the source of your infection, it must have come from unsafe sex, sharing needles or a tainted blood transfusion. Assuming your positive HIV test is not a false positive, if you had no other potential exposure except your boyfriend, then it is very likely he is the source. By the way, he doesn't sound very knowledgeable about HIV transmission, since he's worried about contracting HIV from a kiss! You both should review the information in the archives of this forum focusing on the chapters on magnetic couples (one poz, one neggie) and HIV Transmission.

Good luck to you both. I'm here if you need me.

Dr. Bob

Previous
pls anwer me.. oral sex
Next
Elisa test times?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.