Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Im tired to be so afraid, all the time
Sep 23, 2007

Hi Dr. bob

So, since you read the gazillion of questions you receive daily... I suppose that you have ignored my latest questions... I guess you considerate them as incomprehensible or too hypothetical... I like to think you are secretly falling in love with me. Anyway, I just wanted to share some of my follow ups regarding my possibly HIV infection dilemma... 14 weeks, three tests but no positive result though... God certainly has a sadistic way of showing his love... Should I stop worrying? Should I kill myself and stop bothering you? Why the hell the CDC states that risks like mine do not need to be tested??? (unprotected insertive oral sex) what the hell do I know a "extenuating circumstance" looks like?? I will get tested at the six month mark, just to leave you alone with the ones in real need (as you may be thinking right now) waht are my chances of being positive? Im so afraid.. I thought that getting my 12 week mark negative test will put my mind at ease... but I think Im loosing it.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I read gazillions of questions each day. Correct!

You think that by repeatedly sending me incomprehensible, hypothetical questions, I'll fall in love with you. Incorrect!

You think God has a sadistic way of showing his love, because you've had three HIV tests over the past 14 weeks, "but no positive result . . . ."!!!???? So you are assuming he would be less sadistic and more loving if you tested positive? Do you have any idea how nutso your logic is?

Should you kill yourself and stop bothering me? Hmmm . . . tempting option, but really, dude, do these two things have to be linked?

As for the CDC's advice, it sounds like you're quite upset they told you that you didn't need to be tested. Most normal folks would jump for joy. You, on the other hand, decide to continue testing out to six months. Once again you seem to have a logic disconnect.

You continue to ask "'waht' are my chances," even though you've been advised your risk is negligible at best and the CDC doesn't even believe testing is warranted! You thought your negative 12-week test would put your mind at ease, but apparently you don't readily accept the reality of good news, so instead your fear just keeps spinning out of control.

". . . I think I'm losing it." I absolutely agree. Your problem is psychological, not virologic! I recommend you seek the help of a psychologist to help you confront your irrational fears. There is no doubt you have a problem. That problem, however, is not HIV!

Dr. Bob

Previous
help needed
Next
Acute hiv symptoms - resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.