safe sex as wife might be +

Hi, my wife was prick with dirty needle... she is taking combivir and lopinavir/ritonavir and will have her test done in about 3 months time and again in next 6 month time. That is already 9 months of waiting... We have small kids and she said that we should not have sex for this 9 months as she wants to be sure if she will be + or -... She do not want to risk that in case that she will be + ill get the same of her. I love her but want to know if there is say really safe sex or something simmillar - I dont want her literally to stay out of bed. thanks Pat

Hi Pat,

First off, the six-month post-PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) test is six months from the time of the potential exposure not six months from the time of the three-month test result. Therefore the total is six not nine months of post-PEP testing.

Regarding what to do during the six months, safer sex practices using latex or polyurethane condoms for penetrative sex is all that's required. HIV cannot permeate intact latex or polyurethane. If these condoms are used properly and don't fail, your HIV-transmission risk would be essentially nonexistent. You and your wife should review the information in the archives of this forum related to sexual HIV transmission and also the section on safer sexual techniques.

Good luck!

Contact
SHOULD I TELL?????