The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please answer asking from Bangladesh!Last hope.

Sep 16, 2007

Dear doctor Bob...Thanks for ur endless patience as u are answering all our questions in such a nice manner..Please let me know is repeated scalp folliculaitis with mild fever( around 99 f)is a symptom of HIV? I had an exposure around 15 months ago.My condom broke during intercourse with a russian sex worker in united arab emirates.The exposure didnot last more than 30 secs..i dont have any other bodily discomfort or symptoms presently.Please answer I am panicked..Can folliculaitis cause slight fever and slightly swollen neck glands?Thanks in advance.. SAM

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Bangladesh Sam,

Regarding your symptoms, 99 degrees is not considered a significant fever and yes, scalp folliculitis can indeed cause swollen glands about the head and neck area. Should you get HIV tested because of this? No, not because of these symptoms, but you should indeed be tested because you had a potential exposure! Symptoms or no symptoms, you had a brief unprotected exposure to a Russian sex worker in the United Arab Emirates resulting from your condom failure. Your HIV-transmission risk would be low due to the very brief exposure, but it is not completely nonexistent. I would advise you get a single rapid HIV test. If your folliculitis continues to be a problem, see a dermatologist, as this condition can be quite easily managed.

Dr. Bob

Tick Bite On Scrotum
pcr test

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint