Newly Magnetic Couple

Hi Dr. Bob!

It's HIV Rookie again. Once again I cannot thank you enough for your terrific work on this site! I smile everytime I read it. You don't even know me, but you're a big part of my support network since I got the news of being positive.

OK OK...my question. My partner is HIV negative and I am positive. He is having a hard time understanding how it is that I became positive if I didn't cheat on him. Well, the fact is, I didn't cheat on him. We did have several drunken unprotected sexual encounters with guys we picked up together at a bar. I'm convinced this is how I became positive.

What he doesn't understand is that if we both had sex with the same people, and had all of the same exposure (meaning we did all the same sexual things, with the same relative frequency with these guys) how is it that I could get infected and he couldn't? Is it possible for two people to have the exact same exposure, but for one to contract the virus and one not?

Once again I thank you for being part of my support network, and commend the work you're doing. There is a special place in my heart (and my favorites toolbar) for you. Much thanks!

HIV Rookie

Hey Rookie,

HIV transmission requires multiple factors, including not only factors specific to the virus (viral strain, viral load, etc.), but also factors specific to the host (susceptibility to infection, immune integrity, genetics, concurrent infections, local trauma, just to name a few). Consequently, yes, it is possible for two people to mattress mambo with the exact same party-studs, but only one of them to contract the virus.

Sorry for delay , but i will keep my promise
I don't even know if it was penetration or vaginal frottage