Wrong information!!! Arggh

Hey Doc-

Got my 12 week negative. Whew, thanks for the help. You da man. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that I believe your thebody.com comrade, a certain Dr. Conway, is giving out false information regarding testing, exposure risk, as well as (and you will find this disconcerting) serodiscordant couples and having children. He routinely recommends PCR/DNA testing in routine testing (ie not high risk scenarios) when a person's antibody test is negative, post 12 weeks (according to him, I should be one of these people...now there's doubt in my mind again...). He quotes risk numbers for certain non risk activities. My main problem is that he tells people that they should not seek relationships with HIV+ people (ie that post from that guy in Mumbai....read his response, very different from yours). He says that serodiscordant couples should just adopt a baby if they stay together (has he not heard of sperm washing?); that the traditional means of conception would be a 50% risk of HIV transmission. This man has no compassion and is spreading false information!!

If anything, my experience and resulting worry has educated me so much about this disease and the challenges you guys face and do overcome. Anyways, my rant is over; but I can't stand this false information.

Keep rockin' the ivory, Dr Bob!

Jake

Hi Jake,

Congratulations and WOO-HOO!

Unfortunately I have no control over what others on this or other HIV information Web sites write. I also prefer not to comment on bits of information that might be taken out of context or that might refer to a situation with extenuating circumstances. I find it best to directly answer the questions posed to me based on my experience of being an HIV/AIDS specialist for over a quarter century and personally living with the virus for the past 16 years. I have viewed HIV from both sides of the examination table, which may well provide me with a rather unique perspective of this illness. Ultimately it's up to the readers to decide whom and what they believe. In general, over the years I've found most all the expert on this site agree on the salient points of HIV diagnosis, treatment and prevention.

Stay well Jake, I'm sure you will.

And th e Bomb Dropped, My Partner is Positive - Young Gay Couple
Question re donation