First and last follow-up to a topic seldom covered on your forum

Dear Dr Bob

Thank you for taking time to answer my questions. I just have a few more concerns. Is it common for hep B antibodies to decrease to undetectable level in a matter of a few years? I had a potential exposure to HIV recently, if I was indeed infected, could the virus break down my hep B antibodies and caused my hep B antibodies level to drop to undetectable level in a few months? Or it is more probable that my vaccine failed right from the start?

Thanks!

Allen

Hi Allen,

1. No, it is not common for anti-hepatitis B antibodies to fall to undetectable levels following vaccination within a few years.

2. Acquiring HIV infection would not alter anti-hepatitis B antibody levels once established.

3. Yes, the most likely and logical explanation is that your initial vaccination series failed and immunity was never established.

Maturbation and distance
Healthcare exposure - need specialist advice