Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A "Wet" Spot On the Comforter
Sep 9, 2007

Dear Dr. Frascino,

I always play safe out there! I'm sure you've heard just about every HIV/STD question out there - well, here's another one!

How long does HIV live outside the body?

I'm asking because I was taken into the VIP room at a stripclub where the female dancer of my choice let me lie down on the sofa (I was also going to get a handjob since maturbation is considered 'no risk' for HIV and STD's) There was a comforter on the sofa and the upper part of my arm touched something "wet" on the sheet. I quickly got up and washed with soap and water. She put a towel over the area on the comforter and said, "sorry about the cum. It's been there for a little while so it's no big deal."

So, I'm just a little freaked out - even though there are no cuts or anything open on my arm. Is there any risk of getting HIV or an STD's here?

Thanks again for helping everyone with all of their questions and concerns. I sent a donation to your organization a few months ago - I hope it helps!

Signed -

Keeping Safe!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Keeping Safe,

Actually the "how long does HIV live outside the body" question has become so extremely common that it now qualifies for QTND (question that never dies) status. Check the archives! The general answer is "not very long at all." The specific answer (minutes and seconds) is more difficult, because it depends on many factors ambient room temperature and humidity, HIV viral load, type of bodily fluid, etc. However in your case all of this is moot because you report the skin on your arm that touched the "wet spot" was intact. HIV cannot permeate intact skin. Consequently your HIV-transmission risk is nonexistent. I see absolutely no cause for concern.

Aren't you glad you went for the VIP room? If the sofas there are wet and sticky with secondhand spunk, can you imagine what the non-VIP rooms are like?

Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
A topic seldom covered in your forum
Next
Little Question + why i didn't get the thank you message?!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.