A topic seldom covered in your forum

Dear Dr Bob

I will keep this short and sweet and try not to take too much of your time. How long does the antibodies to Hep B remain detectable following completetion of the 3 doses? I completed mine 6 years ago but found out recently in a blood check that I am not immuned. Is that normal? Did the vaccine fail or did the antibodies count fall to undetectable levels within 6 years and is there something wrong with me?

Hope you can help!

Allen

Hi Allen,

Not developing immunity (antibodies to hepatitis B) following vaccination is not "normal," but it's also not all that uncommon either. Vaccinations may not always produce the desired response for a wide variety of reasons. This does not mean there is necessarily something wrong with you. What's important to know at this time is that you are susceptible to hepatitis B and therefore should be revaccinated. After completion of your series, you should have your anti-hepatitis B antibody level checked to ascertain whether you responded and are therefore immune, OK? If it helps at all, I too had to be revaccinated!

1 Q only.. Donation on its way
A "Wet" Spot On the Comforter