Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

child bites an adult
Sep 9, 2007

Dearest Dr Bob I am a constant worrier about HIV transmission by non-tradinional routes like toulets,scratches, dentists etc. I am working on my anxiety issues, but it really goes up and down. My question now is not about myself, but about my 5 year-old son. The fear is just so overwhelming I cant fight it off myself,so please,please help! My child has bitten me on the nose during our play.The skin broke and very little blood came out after some 20 sec after the bite (I was checking the bite mark in the mirror). The bite mark was tiny. My concern is,of course,comes from the fear that something could have gotten into his mouth.He says he didnot taste anything, but I dont know if I could trust his jujments.

So, please, dear Dr Bob, tell me about his risk level considering that I dont know my HIV status (it was negative 1.5 year ago and since then I didnot have any of the traditional risks,like having sex, sharing needles, being in direct contact with someones blood or sperm) Thanks so much in advance, donation on its way. Worried mom

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried Mom,

You're worried about HIV transmission by "non-tradinional" routes like "toulets . . . ." Hmmm . . . as you probably have heard and read many times, worries, such as the ones you mentioned, are completely irrational and unwarranted. Consequently your chances of being HIV infected are nonexistent. The chances you transmitted HIV to your five-year-old son are beyond nonexistent and well into the realm of "mission impossible."

I urge you to seek professional help for your irrational HIV fears and anxiety. You do indeed have a significant problem that requires medical attention. However, that problem is not virologic; it's psychological.

Dr. Bob

Previous
THANKS for your answer!!(Please, please, let me know if I can WOO-HOO!!)
Next
1 Q only.. Donation on its way

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.