Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

10 years later, is it AIDS?
Sep 7, 2007

Ten years ago, in 1996, I was a train wreck and on several instances of being inebriated I ended up having sex with different women that I knew only casually. I now believe that one of those woman was HIV positive, based on comments from friends. In 1996 I also started a very committed relationship with a fantastic woman and have been with only her since.

In the last 6 months my tongue has turned white (pink in front, cottage cheese at the rear but nothing white on the sides), in the morning there is a prevelant white film along my gumline that can be removed with tissue, my gumline has receded, my vocal cords are sore, I have lost weight (approx. 5%)and last night I noticed that I have just developed 2 purple marks (on my heel and toe) that resemble pictures that I have seen of Kaposi's Sarcoma. My girlfriend's tongue has recently turned white and she has the film along the gumline. Her gumline is also receding. Someone else that I know, who was with one of the women that I had been with in 1996, is also experiencing a white tongue.

The perplexing part of this is that in 2002 my girlfriend had herself tested for HIV and Hep because she was doubting my commitment. The results were negative. I occassionally give blood and last did so in 2004. No HIV was detected (they use nucleic acid screening and I have confirmed that nothing was detected). Two months ago my doctor had me tested. He reported that the result was negative but he did say that he thought that I should be retested. In my joy from hearing the result I neglected to ask him why I should be retested. Three weeks ago I saw another doctor (while mine was away) and after examining my neck and mouth he asked questions about my weight, my bowel movements and my vocal cords. He did not offer any opinion and told me that he would wait and let my regaular doctor deal with me.

Could this be AIDS, despite the test results?

P.S. I hope this question didn't get posted repeatedly, since I was having trouble with the verification number.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your potential exposures were a decade ago. You have had several HIV-screening tests in the interim, including one as recently as two months ago. All of these tests were negative. Your girlfriend has also had a negative HIV test several years ago.

A negative HIV test trumps "symptoms" each and every time.

HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. You do not have Kaposi's sarcoma. You do not need any additional HIV tests, assuming you've had no additional exposures.

If you're noticing funky stuff in your mouth, see your doctor or dentist. One thing that's certain: the cause is not HIV/AIDS, OK?

Sorry about the verification number problem. I have absolutely no control over the technical aspects of this site.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Female to Male Transexual question
Next
I love her, she is positive!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.