The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP not? Urgent! Please....

Sep 6, 2007

I have been reading your achieve quite frequently and you are indeed a noble soul!

10 days ago i have an unprotected insertive oral sex from a gal at a private club. The ordeal was less than a minute and as soon as i realized, i stopped the whole episode. I checked her mouth and there was no visible blood or anything unusual. I know the risk you posted is low but there is still risk.

Around 48 hours later, i managed to get PEP (zidovudine-200mg/day & lamivudine-200mg/day). I learnt from one of your comments posted, i went to have the gal tested and it was negative (ELISA).

Now i have been on PEP for 12days. Knowing she is from high risk group, should i continue PEP even she is tested Negative? Just to be on the safe side? I have gone thru the guidlines on PEP and it says i should stop PEP when the source is confirmed negative but what about if the source is still on window period? If i PEP is terminated now, should 3 months testing conclusive?

Extremely confused! PLEASE REPLY ...cant sleep and eat here!

Response from Dr. Frascino


I would advise you discontinue PEP. In fact, I would not have advised you ever begin PEP for the type of potential risk you describe.

As for HIV testing, yes, a three-month test would be considered definitive.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

It is a Boy!!!!!! Mini Dr Bob
Crystal Meth and AIDS

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint