The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Child bites child

Sep 6, 2007

Two months ago, my three year old son bit a 14 year old boy while playing together at a campground. The mark was red, but looked more like a small bruise. I don't believe it was bleeding, but can't be 100% sure. I wiped my three year old's mouth off and gave him something to drink a few minutes later just in case anything was in his mouth. Three weeks afterwards, my three year old complained of a sore throat for about one day or two, and when I examined his throat, I could see his epiglottis (never saw it before and don't see it now). The pediatrician said that this incident is nothing to worry about and that there is no risk. He also said that sometimes you can see a child's epiglottis. I am a worried mother, and I have considered buying the Home Access HIV Test to check him for my own peace of mind. But the home test said that it has not been tested on those younger than 18 years of age. A false positive would make me feel even worse. What should I do? Thank you very much for your time.

Response from Dr. Frascino


What should you do? You should listen to the advice your pediatrician gave you. Your child's HIV risk is completely nonexistent. Home Access or any other type of HIV testing is not warranted. Don't subject your child to unnecessary tests for your "peace of mind!"

Dr. Bob

25 days or 6 months?
Both are positive

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint