Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

25 days or 6 months?
Sep 6, 2007

Ive recently noticed what appears to be a drop in the amount of time it takes for antibodies to be present for an HIV test. Most recently I read most people show antibodies within 25 days and in the past Ive heard up to 6 months. This is a big window.

I had an unfortunate risky encounter with someone whos HIV status is unknown, 58 days ago. I have not had any sex since the experience. I had a HIV- result on a rapid test yesterday. The councilor said I could be relatively certain that I do not have HIV.

Im not sure, if and when I should be re-tested.

-p

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

The amount of time it takes for an HIV-infected person's immune system to develop anti-HIV antibodies has not changed. However, our ability to detect those antibodies has improved somewhat newer improved testing techniques and that's what accounts for a shift in timeframe of some guidelines. At present, for routine potential exposures, such as unprotected sex, most guidelines recommend getting an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. I would concur. Your 58-day negative test is very encouraging, but not considered definitive or conclusive.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Another Worry!!!
Next
Child bites child

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.