Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Same Old Question?
Sep 2, 2007

I know you have answered these questions so many times...and I have read your message board so much, but I have finally mustered up the courage to ask you a question that I have spent so long fretting over...and even more time scouring the internet to seek reassurance from.

I am a heterosexual male that hasn't been in involved with no risque sexual encounters. I have been with 4 partners and think they are all HIV negative. But, there is one girl, my first, that I am worried about. To keep a long story short, she has seen quite a few guys (no idea on number) and while she says most of them have been protected, I am still afraid. I was with this person for 1 year and it was approximately 5 years ago.

The reason I am typing this, however, is because of the presence of some symptoms that I started to fret over after "Googling" them (may the inventors of Google burn for including HIV in my symptom categories). Said symptoms are:

1. Tingling - I have read this is attributed to treatment and usually occurs when a person develops AIDS. This tingling was attributed to iron deficiency, and honestly I can't really pay this symptom much mind because I haven't had the tingling in a while after taking iron supplements.

2. Sore throat - My throat has been sore for approximately two months now. I haven't really had any treatment for it though. Maybe I should check into that.

3. Low WBC count. I believe this may have a part to play in my sore throat that has been nagging me. I don't know what the cause can be. It was a 3.8. I am an African-American male and have read that we usually have lower WBC than Caucasians, is this perhaps reflective of that? Or is that report false?

4. Clay colored stool. I have no idea what this can be from. The color fluctuates, but it has been consistent for about a month now.

I know that if I am worried that I should be tested, but I am afraid because I have a lot going on in my life, and all of it is for the good. If I were to find out I was HIV positive I don't know what I would do. I think more on the fact that I would have infected those other people though, mostly.

Jeez. As you can see I am in a sort of a predicament. Basically, I would just like to know that after 5 years would this be along the lines of what an HIV infected person would experience?

Your insight is appreciated, and I look forward to donating to your cause even without an answer. Just needed to get this off my chest.

Cliffnotes: I think I may be infected with HIV after a relationship 5 years ago. Symptoms of Tingling, Sore throat, low WBC and Clay-colored stool are present.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

CliffsNotes response: Your fears are unwarranted. If you don't believe me, get tested. There are no other options. Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Hair fall after pep
Next
Barebacking at Southern Decadence

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.