Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rapid Test Freaking out
Sep 2, 2007

Doctor Frascino,

To took a rapid test last thursday 30th of august. It came back positive they told me I havent had it for very long because the line was very light. THey did tell me it is 99.6% accurate but they are doing a confermatory test. The also told me they have never had a false positive reading. So the conferm test is going to take 2 weeks before the honest truth. What are the odds that it might be false negative? I suffer from cushing syndrome. I show no symtoms except I get sinus infection once a year because of AZ weather. I am trying to remain calm but the test seems to be taking forever waiting to weeks could mean me starting to control it now so it doesn't get worse.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Have you placed yourself at risk for acquiring HIV? If the answer is no, then the chance of your rapid HIV test being a false-positive is high! The testing center was very wrong to advise you that you are 99.6% sure to be HIV positive! That is not true! An initially positive rapid test is considered only a preliminary result and must not be considered a true-positive until confirmatory serologic tests are performed. That the testing center has never had a false-positive does not mean they don't occur. In reality they indeed the do! Their story about a "very fine line" meaning you've been recently infected is total balderdash, blatherskite, and codswallop! Don't believe a word of it. These folks obviously are either very poorly informed or have their heads stuck up their gluteus maximi!

My advice is to stay calm. If indeed you are confirmed to be HIV negative, complain loudly and bitterly to the powers that be at the test site!

Good luck. I'm here if you need me.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Elevated liver enzymes and low white blood cell count
Next
Donated 50.00, please answer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.