Lipoatrophy - Switch from Combivir?

I have been on a combination of Sustiva and Combivir since being diagnosed 3 years ago. I am beginning to see some wasting in my legs and thinning in my face, although my overall weight and percent of body fat have not changed. Nor have I noticed any redistribution of fat. However, the appearance of my legs is beginning to obsess me and I'm thinking of changing treatment. My doctor is suggesting that perhaps I should come off the Combivir and switch to Atripula (continuing with the Sustiva as well).

I'm a 50 year old male, workout regularly and am in good health (t-cells around 950 and viral load undetectable), with no other complicating health issues at this time.

Your thoughts?

I agree: avoiding thymidine analog drugs, such as D4T (Zerit) and AZT (Retrovir, Combivir, Trizivir) is an important way to decrease the risk of lipoatrophy. Atripla (Sustiva, Emtriva, Viread) is a good choice for your change in therapy. I'd also suggest you review the information on this site related to lipoatrophy that can be easily accessed on The Body's homepage under "Quick Links."

Doctor Bob GEEK needs HELP 3rd TIME i ask (PLEASE DOC) Will Donate
Elevated liver enzymes and low white blood cell count